Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My son... the scientist

I try not to brag about my kids too much but anyone who know us knows that my 9 year old, Marty, is well let's just say "special".

When Marty was little he could memorize entire books, he started reading in preschool and when we had him tested in Kindergarten he was reading at a 6th grade level. For as long as I can remember when you asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up he would tell you "A Scientist". No cowboy or football player from my boy, nope he wants to be a scientist.

Saturday he decided he wanted to make a solar powered charger for his iPod. Okay. He told us we could get one at Radio Shack (yep, he had already checked it out for us... he's not only informative; he's considerate!). So $15 later, a few failed mis-steps and VoilĂ ! We have a "green" charger. I'm not sure how many sunny days it will take to repay my $15 but hey, it's not about that now is it?

He was so proud of that thing, unfortunately when he finished it was dark so we had to have 3 huge flashlights to test it (kinda defeats the purpose) but it worked. Monday came and it was cloudy so again he couldn't properly test it but today the sun shone bright and my little boy was ecstatic to find out that yes it will charge his iPod.

Sometimes it's hard for us to remember he's only a little boy. He doesn't talk like it; doesn't think like it. So when he acts like it, it's a little bit of a surprise. Tonight after my kids went to bed I came downstairs to find this... today's big experiment.

Super bouncy shoes.


I guess he is 9 after all...

Have a great week!

Kathy



3 comments:

  1. Kathy -

    Such a sweet post. I think that it's true of all brilliant children -- they are usually treated as adults and more is expected out of them. I love to see a child passionate about learning, exploring, creating. I could use those sneakers when I go to the grocery store!

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such an awesome post, and I must say the last picture made me crack up laughing.

    My mother-in-law told me that when my husband was six he took apart their computer and put it back together- and it worked! And from that day forward he said he wanted to work with computers- and he did!

    Sometimes you just know. I hope your all doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about myself!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I hope you'll be back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...